Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Thoughts on the newly introduced iPad....

Let me just start by saying I don't completely hate the ipad....it just feels almost like a waste of technology. After watching the video for it on apple.com, I must say all I see is an iphone/itouch on steroids. Don't get me wrong it would be a nice gadget to own but I probably wouldn't use it as much as I do my itouch or macbook.

Yes the convenience of just touching the button like an iphone to turn it on & have the web literally at your finger tips is a great concept. But is it really necessary?

I'm looking at this from a designer's standpoint.
With a wide touch screen like that the versatility and endless possibilities it offers, would be perfect for graphic designers & other digital artists. The necessity for a drawing pad would become obselete and the need to have both a computer & pad an inconvenience. A stylus would be a nice touch to it for even greater control.

I have this strange feeling & I hate to say it but....this maybe be one of apple's products that just falls short of glory.

1 comment:

  1. I think its got great potential to bring content authoring to the masses. The tough interface is a very powerful idea. The phone form factor is too small for things like drawing, photo editing or video editing. I think this kind of device will eventually be key in this roll.

    Unfortunately Apple is positioning the device primarily as a media consumption device. Maybe that will change as we see new versions in years to come. The first iPod was not the iPhone. The first iPad will not be what we all remember.

    ReplyDelete